Book writing can feel overwhelming. If you are writing your first book, questions of, how long should chapters be or how many words do I need to write a full-length novel, take center stage in your mind.
In today’s episode, I’m talking about novel writing from beginning to end. Now that we’ve approached the half-point in NaNoWriMo, If you’re struggling on structuring your book, this is the episode you need to plan your book and before handing it off to an editor.
1. How is a book Defined?
- Complete story (fiction or non-fiction)
- thought/teaching/manifesto or
- a collection of ideas, stories, poems etc.
- A short book or novella contains anywhere from 25,000 – 40,000 words
- A Novel or non-fiction book usually contains anywhere from 45,000 – over 100,000 words.
2. The anatomy of a book.
- How long should each chapter be?
- How do I break my book up into parts?
- How many chapters should I have?
- How do I know when the end my chapter?
3. How do I write my book?
- I encourage you to listen to episodes 112, 113, 114, 115.
- Begin with a thought and then write your elevator pitch.
- Take your elevator pitch and write a two to three paragraph synopsis of the book.
- Write down how your Story begins and how you want your story to end.
- Begin outlining your book using bullet points. One sentence per chapter.
- Pull out a legal pad and a pencil and write down a page or two per bullet point.
- Take your handwritten notes and begin writing a chapter.
- Plan to write every day.
Question: What processes have you tried using to write your book? Why did or didn’t they work? Leave a comment by clicking here!
Get THE outline you need for NaNoWriMo!
What if you could outline your book today and start writing tomorrow? Want to know the secret?
Get the perfect Story Board Template and stop procrastinating on your book.